Saturday, July 21, 2012

Resources from the First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley


Talking with Your Children about Death and Suicide

Sunday, July 22 at 11:30am or July 29 at 9:45am in Geneva Hall, Room G207

Please join us on either of two successive Sundays for a time of discussion and Christian guidance in how to talk with your children in age-appropriate ways about death and suicide. These sessions will be led by Jeanne James, MFT and Director of Marriage and Family Ministries; Rosemarie Eichner-Raja, Director of Elementary School Ministries, and Dr. Bonnie Ho, Psychologist and First Pres Berkeley Elder. Child care will be offered for K-4th grade in W 9/10, Westminster Hall lower level.

A Pastoral Response to Suicide…Theological Reflections of the Reformed Tradition

Sunday, August 5, 9:45 and 11:30 in Geneva Hall, Room G207

Learn about the Reformed view of suicide and the biblical foundations for grace and love in the midst of pain and sorrow.  This 45-minute forum will be led by Rev. Debbie Whaley, Associate Pastor of Caring Ministries.

Additional Christian Counseling and Therapeutic Resources

Berkeley Christians Counselors (BCC) is a ministry of First Pres Berkeley that offers counseling to individuals, couples, families, and children who are facing stressful issues or decisions, including trauma. BCC is staffed by trained counselors and interns working on professional licensure.  Services are open to all, confidential and based on ability to pay.  We encourage you to contact BCC Clinical Director Sandi Hedlund at 510-548-5858 to schedule an appointment or for a referral to therapists in the area.

2 comments:

  1. Sad to hear about that. I wish the family the best.

    Greetings from Germany,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hedrick family, I am so sorry for your crushing loss. I've been actively involved with the Linux kernel community since 2005, and deeply appreciate Andre's contribution to that project and to our community.

    My own story may be of help to you all. My wife committed suicide in February 2009, which left me with far more questions than answers. It took me until June of that year before I could marshal the resources to have a proper memorial for her, and I still hit pits of grief despite having moved away from the home we shared and having found a positive new relationship. The pits get less frequent and tend to be shallower, but I had to ask for a lot of help to make any progress at all on emptying, fixing, and selling the home we shared. I realize I still carry her stories... she is probably most alive in me... I think I knew her best, and sometimes I hear her voice in my mind, behind my words... she lived a good life and left so much love behind. I recommend a book I found helpful, Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide by Kay Redfield Jamison, a brilliant writer, author, clinical doctor with bipolar illness who has faced down her own suicidal thoughts many times. Best wishes to you all, make a good use of the time you have with us.

    ReplyDelete